The Surrey Research Park’s development started 30 years ago when Science Parks were a fairly novel concept. The idea was to encourage the progress of technology by creating an environment conducive to research, sharing of ideas and supporting inventive business ideas.
The Surrey Research Park is widely regarded as one of the best examples of science parks in the United Kingdom with a highly proactive track record.
The 70 acre (28.5 ha) low density development is part of the University’s campus in Guildford, and provides a high quality, working environment.
- The site offers highly congenial surroundings combining attractive architecture with landscaped areas and lakes.
- The Park is widely regarded as one of the most successful in Europe and several factors have combined to achieve this.
- Flexible letting policy for serviced offices from 120sq.ft.serviced suites on monthly lets, as well as office complexes of 20,000sq.ft.and larger.
- Excellent communications - only 30 miles from London. Road and rail links to Heathrow and Gatwick and good motorway network links.
- Access to a highly-skilled and qualified workforce.
- Opportunities for collaboration at a number of levels with the University of Surrey, one of the country's leading universities.
The buildings are set in large landscaped areas and two lakes provide a serene and tranquil backdrop for over 140 companies engaged in a broad spectrum of research, development and design activities in a number of sciences, including social sciences, technologies and engineering activities, including down stream innovation.
The idea of The Surrey Research Park was first promoted in 1979, as a way to extend the University's long-standing policy of working closely with industry. An environment similar to that initially developed in the USA and brought to Britain when Cambridge Science Park was established in the late 1960s was envisaged. Discussions with the local and county planning authorities began in 1980. The following year's county Structure Plan included a policy for the development of 70 acres (28.5 hectares). The planning permission restricted the use to: "carrying out research, development and design activities, in any science, including the social sciences that is complimentary to the activities of the University of Surrey".
Read more about the historic background and development of Surrey Research Park.
Over the years, Surrey Research Park has seen businesses grow and supported the advancement of technology. The Park has contributed richly to the local environment as well as played a part in the international science arena.
Based on the Park, The Surrey Technology Centre helps young technology-based businesses find their feet in a commercial environment and recruit the best of talent while providing access to the excellent resources, both human and material and within the University, as well as a range of high quality facilities such as a new £38 million Sports Park within walking distance.
The flexible range of office space in The Surrey Technology Centre helps businesses control overheads at a highly sensitive time in their development. As businesses grows, there is the opportunity to take more space on the Research Park. Other benefits include the Seminar programmes and business support through Surrey Incubation and its Business Angel Club.
Read more about the Park's contribution to technology.
In the Heart of Guildford
Guildford is located in the thriving knowledge based economy of the UK's South East, it is close to London and set in an attractive location with good access to a well qualified work force and exceptional communications and travel networks.
- Quality of life, the historic town of offers Guildford an enviable combination of first-rate educational, recreational and retail facilities as well as secondary employment opportunities just minutes away from some of the UK's most attractive countryside and within easy reach of London and the south coast.
- The Surrey Research Park is within walking distance of the superb multi-million pound Surrey Sports Park
- The Surrey Research Park is within walking distance of Guildford’s Holiday Inn hotel.